When I say self-care, what comes to mind? Anything? To a lot of us, self-care is such a foreign concept. We (especially us mamas), spend all of our time taking care of others until there isn’t anything left in the tank to give ourselves.
Do your days go like this?
- Get home from work
- Hey Mom! What’s for dinner? I’m hungry
- Oh wait, I have to clean the kitchen before I can even think about cooking.
- While I’m cleaning:
- Hey Mom, I need $40 for a school club fee.
- Oh hey, can you sign this so I can go on a field trip?
- I need to buy another book for school. I need it by tomorrow.
- Now I’m finally cooking.
- Did you feed the dogs?
- The trash is full, I better empty it.
- Ok, dinner is finally done!
- Now, let me clean the kitchen again.
- Oh, wait, I need to prep my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow.
- Let’s go buy that book… the store should still be open.
- Ok, now maybe I can veg, or pay some bills, or work on my second job, or work on my blog.
- I think I’ll finally go to bed (it’s 10:30 and I get up at 4:30)
- Oh Mom! Can you help me study?
- <insert crying inside>
Can you see how this endless cycle can make you feel depleted?
Taking care of ourselves is so important. When we do that, it helps us take care of everyone else.
If self-care isn’t’ something you’ve done in the past, this might be hard at first. It may even seem selfish. I know I have suffered from mom guilt for taking care of myself, too. But the more you do it, the more you’ll realize how necessary it is. It fills our tank so we can keep giving.
What are the benefits of self-care?
- It prevents burnout. When we are constantly taking care of others, we forget to take care of ourselves and will eventually suffer from burnout. That might look different for different people, but will ultimately end the same way, with you being no good to anyone. Read my post 9 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Stress for more ideas.
- You learn your self-worth. Learning to take care of ourselves helps us to realize we are worth it. Learning self-care helps us learn what makes us happy and what is important to us.
- You will more than likely lead a healthier lifestyle. When we start to focus on ourselves and what makes us happy, we tend to look at all aspects of our lives. Being healthy is a key factor when it comes to happiness. You’ll notice you’ll want to eat healthier and move a little more. Perhaps going on walks is part of your self-care routine!
- Live a more balanced life. Work-life balance is so important but sometimes we can find ourselves getting stuck in a rut. We work too many hours and stay too tired to take care of ourselves. And if we don’t’ work enough, we find ourselves going through life without direction. When you learn to take care of yourself, you learn the importance of balancing work and direction with fun, family, and friends.
- You learn time management! This one is so important. In order for you to carve out time for yourself, you will become a time management queen! You will have to live more intentionally and create a self-care routine. This will trickle into other aspects of your life and will improve it overall.
With so many benefits to self-care and absolutely no cons, this is definitely something you should partake in. Sit down and write out what makes you happy and figure out a way to incorporate that into your life. You deserve it.
I’d love to hear how you made self-care a part of your life! Leave a comment and share with us how you did it!