Getting rid of the junk!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my full disclosure policy.
As much as I love decorating for Christmas and the holidays, there’s something about putting it all away that gets me in the mood to go through the house and get rid of all the junk. It’s like a spring cleaning in the winter. A lot of stores will also have sales on storage items this time of year. Some of my favorite places to shop for storage containers is The Container Store , Amazon, and Target.
Steps to purging a room
- I usually do one room at a time and it typically takes me a day to properly go through that room.
- Stand in the doorway for a few seconds with your hands on your hips and take a deep breath. Get your mind right. You got this.
- Start by making piles: Keep, Trash, Giveaway, Store. Keep doing this until you’ve gone through the entire room.
- Get rid of the trash pile. When going through things, if you haven’t used it or forgot you had it, then get rid of it!
- Take the Giveaway pile to the Goodwill
- Get those fancy storage containers out and put away anything you need to store.
- Now comes the fun part. Envision how you want the room to look. Do you need to rearrange the furniture? I love to rearrange furniture. It’s like getting a new room!
- Clean the room before putting everything where you want it.
- Now put everything in its rightful spot, step back and take in the beauty of a freshly organized room.
What rooms do you need to work on? I, sadly, need to work on the entire house. Being a retired military family, I was used to moving every couple of years and was able to purge every time we moved. Now that we are out of the military, I’ve noticed how things start to pile up on us after a while.
I’ve also really gotten into the old farmhouse style like that of Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper. I could binge watch that show all day! That style is very minimalist, so that’s another reason to go through everything and get rid of what I can.
Good luck with all your purging and send me your before and after pics!