The Importance of Self-Care
I recently wrote a post on the benefits of self-care, so I decided to help you create your own self-care routine. Being able to customize it with yourself in mind will ultimately create a new happy you; vibrant, passionate, and living with intention. It’s important to note that self-care is also not a one-time deal. It isn’t something you do once, feel better, and then go back to what you were doing before. If you do that, you’ll eventually find yourself with an empty tank again. So, incorporate this routine into your daily life. Start with small changes so you don’t overwhelm yourself and grow from there. Make sure you do things that make you happy and not what you think you are supposed to do. Don’t forget this is your routine.
When it comes to self-care, there are three ways to do this: mind, body, and soul. It’s important to touch on all three of these areas, but not necessarily every day.
Self-Care for the Mind
- Set aside time to unplug. Completely step away from your phone and all the noise and notifications for a set period of time.
- Find ways to remove negativity. Let’s face it, there will always be negative Nellie’s, but we don’t have to let them seep into our lives. Mute them on social media, remove yourself from negative conversations, don’t give in to gossip.
- Meditate. Even if only for a minute, just taking the time to focus on your breathing, thoughts, and feelings, can make a huge impact on your day.
- Learn something new. Read my post on 50 things to learn right now for more ideas.
- Create a vision board
- Write a story or journal
- Read a book
- Sit outside
- Create something; color, sew,
- Watch funny YouTube videos
- Look at the stars
- Listen to a self-care podcast
- Write a list of things you’re grateful for
- Watch the clouds go by
Self-care for the Body
- Do yoga
- Take a bubble bath with candles and calming music
- Get a pedicure and/or manicure
- Dance around the house
- Get a massage
- Go for a walk
- Cook a gourmet meal
- Take a nap
- Go to bed early or sleep in
- Play on the playground like a kid!
- Go swimming
Self-care for the Soul
- Perform a random act of kindness. There are so many ways to do this. It could be anything from checking in on a neighbor, paying for someone’s food at a restaurant, taking the local fire department a fruit tray, help someone carry their groceries to the car, pay for someone’s parking fee, leave inspirational note cards in random places (like on a gas pump, the grocery store, etc..), give your mailman some coffee, cut your neighbor’s grass.
- Spend time with your pet
- Spend time in the garden
I hope this gave you some inspiration to create your own self-care routine. If you have other things to add to the list, I would LOVE to hear them! I’m always looking for more ways to love on myself and others.