Can I just say, this was yummy??!! Even one of my friends that said she wasn’t a fan of quinoa liked it. If you haven’t ever cooked quinoa before, this would be a great recipe to try it out with. I would recommend getting the pre-washed variety. If not, you have to rinse it first. And whatever you do, don’t skip this step! I didn’t have a strainer with small enough holes once, and thought “whats the big deal?”, and didn’t do a pre-rinse. It has a very bitter taste if you do this. I used the pre-rinsed kind in this recipe and it was fine. Quinoa is very good for you and so versatile. It’s the only grain that is a complete protein. I also used Rotel and the extra bit of spice was fantastic!
Turkey Quinoa Casserole
Smart Points: 9
1 lb turkey
1 cup quinoa
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1/2 small can tomato paste or sauce
garlic to taste
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican mix
1/2 bag spinach
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Make quinoa according to package directions.
- Cook turkey in separate pan adding onions, garlic and your favorite seasonings (I used my favorite homemade Paula Dean house seasoning). Once meat is browned, add canned tomatoes and tomato paste/sauce.
- Add in spinach to meat mixture, cover and simmer until wilted.
- Once quinoa is done, stir in breadcrumbs.
- Add quinoa mixture to meat mixture and stir.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and add quinoa turkey mixture. Cover with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
*Recipe from weightwatchers.tumblr.com